Sheerannam is a very traditional recipe in many parts of south India. This is a creamy and rich dessert.
The mace flavor make this as a unique dessert. This is basically a sweet milk pongal.
Milk pongal is a savory type of pongal which is also a very traditional type of pongal Jaggery/Sugar candy and flavorings are added to milk pongal to make sheerannam.
But in this sheerannam I can add Bottle gourd pieces,this is very tasty. To any traditional Indian dessert,cardamon is used as a basic flavoring. . They taste really good in this sweet. The sugar candy brings in the depth of natural sweetness. Milk, sugar and saffron is the heavenly combination. This also gives a beautiful light lemon yellow color to the dessert.
Rice 1 Cup
Chopped and Boiled Bottle Gourd 1 to 1/2 cup
Milk 3 cups
Jaggery/Sugar 1 to 1 1/2 cup (or as your taste)
Salt 1 pinch.
Water 2 cups(as required)
Ghee 2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder 1 tsp
Raisins 2 tsp
Cashew nuts 1 tbsp
The aboue Two are optional.
- In a heavy bottom pan add milk and water bring to /k boil it
- Then add Soaked rice cook until rice is done.
- Next add boiled bottle gourd pieces and jaggery / sugar candy and stir well till the sugar candy is completed melted. Now add the ghee and cardamom powder..
- Heat the ghee and fry the cashew nuts and raisins add it to the pongal. Remove from heat and decorate it with cashews while serving
- Note:Instead of cardamom powder u can add nutmug powder, mace powder also each 1/8 tsp.