A simple yet nutritious dish – dal cooked with vegetables and spices.
Toor dal 3/4 cup
Carrot, 1/2 inch pieces 1 medium
French beans 1/2 inch pieces
3-4 Drumstick, 2 inch pieces
1 Cauliflower, separated into florets 1/4 small
Oil 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves 6-8
1-2 Garlic, chopped 5-6 cloves
Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Soak dal in two cups of water for an hour.
- Heat oil in a cooker. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, slit green chillies, garlic and ginger. Sauté for a minute.
- Add carrots, French beans, drumstick and soaked dal and mix. Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sufficient water and bring to a boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add cauliflower, coriander leaves and lemon juice. Stir and put the lid of the cooker on.
- Cook under pressure till one whistle. Switch off the heat, open the pressure cooker lid only when all the steam has ceased in it. Mix lightly with the back of the round spoon.
- Serve hot with papad.