Rice Flour - 1 cups
Water - 1 1/2 water
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup
Cardamom - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottom pan and add the coconut and jaggery. Mix well till the coconut becomes soft and the jaggery melts and blends well with the coconut
- When the mixture becomes quite dry remove from flame
- Make the cashew nuts into small pieces. Heat another small pan with one tablespoon of ghee and fry the raisins and cashew nuts separately.
- Mix this with the coconut jaggery mixture and allow it cool.
- Now for making the outer covering, boil the water
- Take the rice flour in a bowl and add the salt to it
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water to the flour and make it into a dough (softer than poori dough). Make sure there is no lumps in the dough
Filling and Dough
- Make them into small balls and flatten them in your hand or a polythene sheet. (Use little oil for the sheet while flattening
- Take spoon of the coconut jaggery filling and place it over the flattened dough. Then cover the filling all the sides with the dough and make sure the filling is not coming out. Repeat this for the rest of the balls
- Heat the idli pot with enough water and place the Purnam on the grease idli plate. Steam the purnam for 10-15 minutes
- Serve Rice Purnam hot for Vinayaka Chathurthi.