Rajma or Red Kidney beans are very popular in North India where a well-loved dish is named after them.As with all beans (like Kabuli Chana, Black-Eyed Peas etc), which are high in fiber and full of nutrition, Rajma too has gas-producing enzymes. The trick to beating these, is to change the soaking water every few hours (before cooking) and cook them till soft.
Kidney Beans (Rajma) 1 cup/8 ounce
Medium sized Onion 1
Large Tomato 1
Green chili 2
Ginger-garlic ( 1 tbsp
Garam masala Powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander (Dhania) Powder 1 tsp
Cinnamin 1 "inch
Bay Leaf 1
Salt To taste
- Soak the Raj ma overnight.
- Boil in a pressure cooker till tender.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste.
- Cook till brown.
- Add the tomatoes, green chillies,turmeric and cook till pulpy.
- Add coriander powder, salt and 2 cups water and boil well.
- Add the Raj ma and cook on a low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Add the gar am masala powder and cook further for another 15 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Chapatis