For the ground masala:
Medium size Onion(chopped) 1
Green chillies (5-6 as per your taste) or Red Chilli powder (1 tsp)
Dry coconut shredded (3 tsp)
Jeera powder (1 tsp)
Ginger-garlic paste (half tsp)
Jeera 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Dry chilli 1
- Except leaving the Tomato and Onion, remaining everything you grind into a fine paste adding little bit of water. Now add the chopped Onions and grind it such a manner that onion pieces should be coarse.
- whatever may be the name ...all are one and the same.....so, coming ..to the masala, it looks like this one shown on the left side.
- Now take, a pan add 3 tbsp of oil, add seasoning : jeera, mustard seeds,2-3 dry red chillies and Curry leaves and this ground masala, pinch of turmeric powder and fry well for 6 - 7 minutes.
- Take the chopped tomatoes and add to this mixture and again fry for 3 minutes.
- Add salt ,chopped big pieces of Ridge Gourd of size 1" and fry well for 3-4 minutes.
- Usually, I use green chillies, but this time used chilli powder for this recipe. Then, add 1.5 to 2 cups of water , mix well , cover the lid and keep on medium heat.
- Let it cook for 5-6 minutes. When the gravy starts becoming thick, switch off the stove..........Good with any type of rice or parathas.